Recognizing Success During Extraordinary Circumstances

December 4, 2020

A message from Karen McGrath, President and CEO of Horizon.

Every year, Horizon celebrates staff and physicians who are making a difference for our patients and clients, our organization, and our communities.  

As a health care organization, we have an obligation to place patient safety and quality, research and innovation, leadership in clinical care and lifelong learning at the forefront of everything we do. Yet year after year, we proudly recognize excellence in each of these areas – those who go above and beyond our expectations.

This year has brought challenges, but it has also allowed us to recognize our many strengths. The strengths of our teams, our communities, and our province. Our organization has been nimble in our response to the pandemic, but we acknowledged the same approach to recognizing excellence was necessary. Although we traditionally recognize individuals and groups through gatherings and award presentations, much like everything else in 2020, our official award presentations looked different this year.

At a time when we needed it most, we came together virtually to celebrate our most valuable resource – our staff and physicians.

This fall, we honoured recipients of Horizon’s 2020 Quality Quest Award and Patient Safety Hero Award. We also celebrated Awards of Distinction in Nursing, Leading One Horizon’s inaugural graduation and earlier in the year, our retirees and dedicated and committed employees. I encourage you to learn more about the exceptional and unique work that is taking place at Horizon by visiting our awards and recognition page HERE.   

I also encourage you to join me in finding a renewed appreciation for the way all Horizon staff and physicians continue to exceed expectations despite the challenges presented by COVID-19. These awards represent many of the great opportunities that have emerged from those challenges and those facing our health care system overall, and I’m confident there are more.   

The work of Horizon employees and the support they show for each other is inspiring and I feel fortunate to learn from this extraordinary team of skilled professionals. Whether they are finding ways to remove barriers for our patients, ensuring patient safety is always top of mind or improving processes through innovation, the team continues to go the extra mile to develop and enhance their skills, and strive for excellence in their work.

The empathy, compassion and respect that they bring to each of their professions every day is worth celebrating.

To the entire Horizon team, I want to say thank you! I am very proud of the impact you have on your community.

You can help recognize our employees for being exceptional.

If you want to recognize an employee for the exceptional care and service they provided to you or a loved one, send them a Bravo!