Dec. 30, 2020
We can all agree – 2020 is a year we’ll never forget. A year of hardships, loss, courage, and compassion.
One thing is for sure, there was a lot of information available this year, and you were eager to consume it. With COVID-19 arriving at our doorsteps, a constant wave of information was thrown at us, and, as we learned more and progressed, we did our best to pass that information on to you in a timely, accurate and, even fun and unforgettable format.
At Horizon, we shared a lot of material this year, to keep you informed with reliable and accurate information.
And while the most popular social posts, webpages and videos weren’t all about COVID-19 – the pandemic did supply a lot of the content.
Join us on a trip through health care at Horizon in the last 12 months, as we recap what YOU loved to read, watch and look at this year.
- Website: COVID-19 Information webpages
- Horizon’s COVID-19 information pages were updated constantly and included information ranging from breaking news to testing to visitor restrictions – and you turned to us for up-to-date and accurate information. You even helped us hit a record number of web visits in one day this year – 50,100 page views on Monday, March 16, 2020.
- You wanted information about visitor restrictions, making those pages one of the most viewed web pages and our very first social media post about visitor restrictions was our top social media post of the year.
- While the information can change, depending on colour level, you can always find the most up-to-date guidelines on our website!
- Blog: 5 Reasons You Should Wear A Mask
- You were looking for mask information, knowing they are an important public health tool to help limit the spread of COVID-19.
- Masks are required for all patients, visitors, and staff in Horizon facilities.
- Video: A look at Horizon’s COVID-19 Community Assessment Centres
- Horizon’s COVID-19 Community Assessment Centres are new to all of us and you wanted to know what they are all about! Throughout the pandemic they have remained busy and we’ve increased capacity when needed due to outbreaks.
- If you are experiencing mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19 you can complete the self assessment found tool at http://gnb.ca/coronavirus for next steps.
- Video: Congestion at Horizon
- You wanted to learn more about overcapacity at Horizon hospitals! Overcapacity was happening, even before COVID-19. You were able to look behind the scenes and learn more about how staff work together to help ease congestion and overcapacity to ensure safe and quality care for patients on our website here.
- Horizon Story: Royal Treatment for Patient Through COVID-19 Hospital Stay
- You loved reading about the health care experiences of people in your community. The story that resonated most with you was the first-hand experience one COVID-19 patient had at Horizon’s Saint John Regional Hospital. Read all of our Horizon Stories, here.
- Video: Physical distancing: How far apart is 2 metres?
- Physical distancing became a key way to keep you safe during the pandemic! You kept your distance to help protect you and those around you from COVID-19.
- Video: Dorsal Root Ganglion Stimulation – Horizon performs first surgery in Canada
- Catherine Fraser was the first Canadian to undergo surgery to implant Abbott’s new neuromodulation system, known as the Proclaim™ DRG Neurostimulator System for dorsal root ganglion (DRG) stimulation. We followed her into the operating room to give you a first-hand look!
- Read more details about the first-in Canada procedure here.
- Community Story: Without a Community Health Centre, Where would Mike be?
- Your communities play an integral role in your health and this year, you wanted to learn more about what was happening locally! Read about one patient’s journey with the help of the Neguac Community Health Centre.
- Blog: Horizon Physician Seeing Lung Illness in Patients Due to Vapes
- Did you know, most youth who vape have never smoked? Read how what is viewed as a trend is really a harmful habit.
- Social media post: Thank you, Moonshine Creek for the hand sanitizer donation
- Cleaning your hands is one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of COVID-19 – and community spirit and giving was alive and well during the first few months of the pandemic We thank everyone who has supported Horizon and health care workers this year.
Thanks for following our website and social media channels this year!
We are looking forward to sharing more information with you in 2021.